Monday, December 8, 2014

Somewhat higher spirits

I rode both Sadie and Tanza yesterday so that helps my spirits a lot.  It is good overlap having the green horse that does better with just short rides in winter when I am content just getting a short ride in.   I made a broccoli cheese turkey rice casserole saturday and turkey soup yesterday,  that finishes up the turkey and the dogs got the turkey pieces I didn't leave in the soup when I separated the bones,  there is enough that they will get good portions a couple more days too.    To counter feeling so virtuous over maximizing healthy meals from the turkey I made myself molten brownie sundaes in a cup.   Water, brownie mix, couple teaspoons of oatmeal and 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa, microwave for about 75 seconds, top with ice cream.   I tell myself that this is better than baking so I don't have a pan full of yummy calories tempting me to eat more and more but mostly its laziness that prompts me to do this instead of making a pan of brownies or chocolate cake, or making cookies. 

I got a check sent to my bro and his family.   I'm feeling slightly guilty for sending double that amount to a dog rescuer I know who had posted a panicky FB blurb about minivan seizing up with transmission woes ... something like "I'm screwed, we don't have thousands of dollars for a new transmission or new used vehicle"    It is silly to feel any guilt for that though,  I have given bro and family generous money in past when they were doing in-vitro --successful until miscarriage, oof. 

The dog rescuer was like "oh I couldn't, you've done so much already ..." when I offered but I think realized they needed to accept,   I put in note something about not messing up my shaky book keeping and if they had to be stubborn use the money for the rescue bills but IMO having the van repaired was needed for the rescue but writing check in her name instead avoids any potential IRS hassle over using donation for a dual purpose (personal and rescue use) vehicle. 

I have to contact dog rescue again and see if they need more $ to cover repair and do my other December charitable donations.  I am just not as excited to give to St Judes again after getting at least a dozen junk mailers, some with dumb ass trinkets, so the extra to the dog rescue might be somewhat balanced by dropping them.   Fisher House, Salvation Army and Soldiers Angels are cool with no or very little soliciting.   I gave to Samaritans purse when Ebola was in the news and they have sent some letters and LWR does too but at least neither of those sends quite as much snail mail or pulls that sending cheap trinkets crap. 

No comments: