Friday, December 26, 2014

I enjoyed my lazy holiday

I rode Tanza wednesday after the farriers were done with the mares.  He still isn't just going out and coming back w/o a fuss but he reins well even when he is being a twerp and doesn't do anything too dramatic, so I feel like I'll be good to get through his greenie stage although I'm telling myself this may need to be my last young green horse.

Made fish and sweet potato fries for supper.  Stupidly cut my hand as I was cutting the fries.   Not very deep but its an awkward spot to bandage right at top of palm on the little finger.   Was a mess getting the bleeding stopped that night, I couldn't find my bandages after finally getting the super glue to come out and ending up mashing some paper towel down which and the paper/glue combo stopped the bleeding so I just cut off the excess paper toweling and put some vet wrap over it.

Got the paper off next morning and put a nice bead of glue on it and then a bandage to protect the glue and some vet wrap to keep the bandage in place and restrict bending.   Crazy amount of vet wrap for one shallow, maybe 1.5 cm cut but vet wrap is cheap and almost everyone in office is on vacation so I don't have to give a song and dance explaining why I have my hand so wrapped up.

Thursday I got a short ride in on Sadie before the cold front and snow blew in, then baked the ham I bought at Target.  Its a tasty ham thank goodness.  I also baked squash, added apples and extra water after the T-day squash was dry and not very sweet.  Plus I covered it, had to improvise covering ham and squash as we were out of foil and the casserole I normally use for squash was not washed yet from meatloaf I made 2 weeks ago and I wasn't going to hand wash it with the stupid cut hand.  But the 2.5 or so stainless steel sauce pan and same height cover worked OK.  Had an inch or so of air  as it was a big ham but it baked up fine and I used two loaf pans with one as a cover for the squash and it came out very sweet and tender.   I just made up Idahoan mashed taters from the packet,  I like them just as well as mashed from fresh.   Just heated leftover gravy from T-day instead of making some from the ham drippings.

   I thought everything tasted fine,  Dad did his usual snack on a big cup of M&Ms but he's been doing that no matter if or what I cook so I bit my tongue and kept telling myself its not my problem that he chooses to shove junk food in his pie-hole.  But I'll still make ham and bean soup this weekend, well I must admit that that is one soup I like myself and its not just to get a few veggies into  the dadster like making turkey soup.

No comments: