Tuesday, November 11, 2014

you're freaking welcome

I know its a crummy attitude and I have tried to restructure my giving so that it is its own reward.  With donations that is pretty much true now.  With some other stuff setting up gift exchange for bb, and some other personal or semi-personal gifts not so much.  I don't want to live in an Asian world where the miss manners rules are both complex and rigid and receiving a gift or even slight favor requires formal thank you gestures or reciprocation such that one must weigh 'would giving something be a burden to the recipient?' for any little random thing done just to be nice or any little thing I would get would make me feel like "oh great, now I have to go out and buy a thank-you gift in exchange"

But still, I am feeling a bit rejected and a bit annoyed right now.   The problem with being so internet connected.  I always feel like "its really easy to just dash off a quick thank you and hit send"  My rational head knows that if someone is feeling raw about a loss or is knee deep in more elaborate thank you's to folks they know absolutely expect some kind of gesture then things do not work that way;  but my cranky emotional side insists on feeling slighted.

No comments: