Friday, November 7, 2014

Nice ride on Tanza this morning. Short but sweet

I feel like a bad horsewoman though.   His back legs were all stocked up.  DOH,  I should have realized that all the crazy fast racing around on Tuesday might cause that and at least smeared some poultice on to reduce the swelling.   Oh well, cannot go back in time.

He was very sane today.  We walked and trotted some figure eights in Shade and Grey's pen while Grey finished his big helping of soaked up feed.   I left Shade in the pen and she polished her halo by just visiting with Razz in the corner and then going back to polishing off the last scraps of leftover hay.  Sooo nice that I didn't have to move her to work Tanza in her pen.

The stocking up was reduced after the short ride so that was a relief.   I don't really know how much harm it does when horses get that swelling,  they are more prone to get it in the future once they have had major stocking up and swelling from injury can cause secondary problems so we never like to see swelling on lower legs but again I can't go back in time.   I put just a bit of sore no more liniment on the legs and a bit of arnica gel.   Tanza was doing his lifting leg, halfway threatening to kick thing.  I told him I don't use stuff that stings so cut it out.

My boss has done the "I could write a subroutine (or full code)" and then welsh on me again.   So stupid of me to have forgotten he does this.   I could have been halfway to writing what I wanted myself just in the two hours I spent in his office on Tuesday walking him through the program because (again I had forgotten)  that he is not capable of only adding what is asked but insists on trying to understand the whole thing and then I still didn't now he intended to welsh until late yesterday.  

And after staying way late yesterday getting procrastinated slides put together we ended up spending the whole time allotted to the meeting hashing over just the strategy to get data from 100 or so ground sites with needed redundancy.   I like the new guy they hired for orbit determination.   He is wicked smart but better yet  he was pretty much in charge of setting up something similar at his job in commifornia.   So he is a great counterweight to my boss who wants to have fewer but much more elaborate smart computers 'to reduce complexity' instead of breaking them into simpler pieces and with more redundancy like our sys admin has wanted to do instead of having to get fancy with software OS solutions.  Now the sys admin and less senior software engineer have this new orbit determination guru on their side and with guru's experience to back it up.  

Its also going to push me to do more in my job and that is great, I've gotten into such a rut and doing too much coasting because of my angst over politics of the country and state and if I'm honest my irritation with my bosses style.  Now having someone who will probably become a defacto supervisor in terms of 'write/modify code to do this' if not ever writing the CYA reviews for the government funding who is so smart and who has supervised smart people will force me to keep focused and get things done quickly.  

No comments: