Monday, September 26, 2011

mom is in hospital with pneumonia

She had dad take her to the ER at Presbyterian in Denver yesterday afternoon after a bit of theatrics. I don't know why she felt the need to demonstrate for us that she was really sick. That was counter-productive since she moans and groans almost all the time and we tend to think she's just aiming for sympathy if she amps it up. OTOH when she announced she needed to go in to an ER in a rational manner (I assume it was rational, I was outside at the time) dad drove her in. X-ray showed pneumonia in one lung and her blood O2 was low and then one Doc told dad she was also anemic. They admitted her and are most likely doing the IV antibiotics and all. I am waiting to see if she announces to Ed and Margret or any visitors that we almost killed her off with the trail riding trip. If she does I think I will try to put on my best sardonic tone and go "yeah we were hoping to get some inheritance but you're too too tough of an old bird and will live till you've spent every last cent and then some from uncle Sam and probably from me too" lolz, its not terribly funny but if I take it too serious it just depresses me. Seeing mom parallel gram's whiny, bitch and moan behavior makes me worry that I'm prone to become the same way when I get old. Except since I'm an old maid there will be no one to whine to and if I need assistance I'll have to try to be the kind of person people enjoy helping. (polite, appreciative, keeps a sense of humor and joy of life ) I hate when I can't do something but I have learned that it is ok to ask for help and let someone be the chivalrous knight once in a while. That does also work within the family rather than just relying on blood obligations but I'm too cowardly to try to tell mom that.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

Not good.

Hope your mom feels better soon.

Pneumonia is not fun. I had it once.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Yeah I know pneumonia can be serious. I probably err on the side of "don't kill your immune system taking antibiotics for every cold" and I'll be a toothless old hag rather than risk dental implants if I lose my teeth and don't tolerate dentures after seeing what my mom has gone through. Hopefully this hospital kicks her infection and she gets some kind of p/t to keep her lungs clear in future.