Thursday, September 15, 2011

Being In Total Control Herself

Last week I mentioned at the team meeting that the raid on the research CPU was full and I wouldn't be able to keep putting data there for researchers unless it was expanded or some subset of data was removed or something. I hear -- crickets

Monday I sent an email with disk usage counts and "what should I remove" as subject heading. Still only hear crickets.

So today I sent an email to some researchers and our operations group stating that data type BlaBlah is going to be nuked on monday at 5pm except for several days that I know are special research periods and any other data periods I am requested to preserve, plus that last ~ 18 months of data. As time goes on I'll have to reduce the # of months for keeping this data type sunless a bigger disk RAID is set up but whatever.

I didn't really feel like it was my place to say "this goes" but since the supposed manager/supervisors did not say "lets get a bigger raid so we can preserve everything"; nor let me know that the HUGE, intermediate step data type was the thing to remove I had to make the call myself. Its OK, I can be a b!tch as needed; but weak-assed leadership annoys me. It would have been nice to at least be told "well you'll have to find a solution yourself."

No comments: