Monday, February 16, 2009

becoming meat and potatoes

Well I've always liked a good steak etc. I just don't plan ahead to cook it very often, and I've not been much of a potato eater in years. But last weekend wondering what to eat since mom was too sick to cook I used up some old lean sauage and I made fried potatoes and onions to go with it. Then I bought a lb of ground bison so I could combine with the old tube of pork sausage in the freezer for meatloaf this weekend. Cooked it up tonight, found a recipe for mushroom meatloaf on the web that sounded close to moms version. I skipped the sauted mushrooms and added extra onion, but oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, and cream of mushroom soup sounded right. Mom always just used hamburger but the recipe I found called for 1/4 ground pork, so with having the lean bison its close. And I fried up potatos and onions again for the side.

I've always been somewhat conservative, but turning more so this past year too. I feel like I'm turning into a hybrid of my grandfathers, they were both meat and potato eaters.

I felt like allergies or a head cold was taking a swipe at me this weekend and didn't do much. Saturday I bought a 100 gal tank and put about 38 gallons of fuel in it on the way home. Wish I had not because I've decided I want to flip the tank around and just use the fill cap and a siphon hose after pricing transfer pumps. The tank has a hose but no pump and the seller put the hose end towards my trucks fill cap. Well I have an empty barrel I can siphon into, just have to wait for the siphon hose I bought online to arrive. Someone came up with the cood idea to put a 1-way valve on the end of a hose. So you can just shake the hose to get the liquid displacing air and start siphoning. Even if that does not work out having the 1-way valve will make it much easier to start the siphon process with lung power.

Sunday I took a short ride, went west and took Mia for a romp. Today I rode east and changed the routine a bit. I wanted to go farther but Ole was along but really lagging so I turned back quicker, Only went about 5.5 miles altogether and Ole went way less. Not sure if he's a bit sick, or just wore himself out running around when he should have been home in our yard, Darn dog, mom tried to lay guilt trip on me but I pointed out that I wanted to put dog tight fence up 2 years ago but couldn't get any help. If she is suddenly bothered by the dog being a pest she can hire some fencing done now. I cannot keep track of whether the dog sneaks off or goes in the house when I'm in and out feeding.

No comments: