Thursday, November 17, 2022

I didn't expect elder care to be so lonely.

 I knew caring for an elderly relative would be stressful and limits getting out in person.  I didn't know my few contacts would shy away from even sending me a text.   I'm fairly pissed with brother and sister right now for being so silent.  Hugged bro before he took off for airport a week ago yesterday and he never even texted he made it home safely, even after I texted him a few days ago with a thanks for coming and hope you made it home safe and recovered from your bug.   I suppose he and his bride may think I didn't thank him enough for coming out.  

Sis was all buy ensure for dad, get him a hospital bed etc and I haven't heard from her in over a week either.   Perhaps her company finally quit being stupid about their 'fit for duty' test they have staff take with some outfit and she is busy plus doesn't need to vent anymore.  

And I made a comment on the sat morning gardening thread on the huge blog that was tangentially related that I had pulled some tumbleweeds to burn later and 'this is isn't really gardening or even pasture management, it's therapeutic stress relief,' and some commenter with a nic I didn't even recognize commented right after in all caps something about pulling weeds, it is great stress relief but now going for Advil and booze for pain relief.   I just posted a "heh, yup weed pulling is hard on the back" response but did wonder if some lurker or a regular hiding under a different nic was calling me a drama llama, whoring for attention while being too craven to type it directly.   I was only thinking "oh F you" at the time, but I'm still extra censoring myself if I think about commenting there now, especially w/o being spot on topic.  

And the neighbors are wonderful and she offered to send over meals; so I took her up on it and gave her $200 "for 4-5 meals for 2 per week, whatever works out"  after mentally flailing for over a week wondering what was a reasonable amount.  I figured with that vague # she can make it fewer meals or whatever meal was cheaper to make if I am off on how much groceries that would cover.   But I'm a bit annoyed with them because he always offers to take dad out for b-day, veterans day.  It is not needed, and he knows dad is housebound now but he offered again this year that he would get a DQ ice cream cake and takeout from a Greek place dad likes but she was sick last weekend so I asked if they needed a raincheck.  Yes, please.  

Fine and dandy but I am not at all sure they haven't forgotten it entirely now.  If they are planning that they can do it tomorrow or Sunday it would be nice for me to know that so I can plan on skipping cooking that night or not.   If they are over stretched and don't have time to run out for takeout I should make arrangements to bake a cake to serve with ice cream on top and cook dad some Birds Eye garlic shrimp and heat a pizza or something for folks who don't love shrimp or even do the takeout run myself and get them over anyway.   I guess I'll have to ask her via text.   I hate feeling like I'm imposing on good neighbors being a PITA but I think dad was looking forward to it.  Mostly for giving the kids presents he bought with Cabela's points from his CC, so if they don't have time or budget right now to do the takeout and DQ cake I can get something together if they can come over for a bit.

No comments: