Friday, June 10, 2022

Letting go of hay stress for a few weeks.

I've been twisted up, trying to figure out how best to get some extra hay for over a week.  Last night talked to P for a bit and looked at his yard.   He has been asked to do a bunch of mechanical work and putting his new flatbed on his pickup is behind all the customer requests.  I could pull a trailer with my pickup but P decided to fix our trailer up and the flooring is still out of it.  He has spare trailers, but one has his flatbed sitting on it, and others had various stuff on them. 

So,  I need to just chill.  I can haul a few small bales, or one big square with my pickup, like to get some alfalfa or a test bale, but there is no sense trying to contact hay growers right now when I am not in a position to say "I will come tonight or tomorrow and get 2-4 tons of hay"   

There will be hay for sale next month and our pasture is holding up pretty well and I don't need to  buy hay before it gets even more expensive; we have margin in the budget to pay even another 50% if we have to.  I could network with the neighbor whose pasture adjoins ours and see about doing a graze lease on it if I need to.  I will keep watching CL for ads for hay with delivery options but I don't need to be in a rush.  

No comments: