Monday, July 6, 2020

Busy 3-day weekend

No nice vacation at the Shamrock ride in WY.   Sigh,  I loved that ride, such hospitable landowners and ride manager and the setting just exuded peace and tranquility.   Oh well,  I did enjoy it most years while it was active.

This year it was hauling hay Friday morning, spraying weeds with the frustration of tow sprayer not working correctly and the goat heads from the power company dozer work already had set a TON of burrs, then unloading most of the hay we (mostly neighbor Paul) had picked up in the morning and I helped dad zip tie his flags to the 810 John Deere that evening.  

 Saturday I got up decently early and sprayed more weeds with backpack unit plus got the last bit of hay off the flatbed trailer.   I still have not swept the loose hay off the trailer.   Then dad lined up to be in the parade and I put on my patriotic t-shirt (eagle with flag "these colors don't run") that I bought in FL last year when I went to watch the C2 launch, plus my red MAGA cap with U.S. flag on brim and blue jeans.  It was a pretty good parade for couple weeks notice and just our mile square neighborhood of 10 acre lots.  I took pics with my camera phone,  they are not great, cheap ph and I have no practice with the camera feature but better than nothing.

Then Pauls friend A came over with his mom and sister and picked up the wood Paul had cut up from our downed trees of a few weeks ago,  Paul came over and cut down the Elm tree trunk that was still standing and I got the tractor out to load those heavy pieces onto A's trailer.  We got a little shower in the afternoon which cooled things off, then it dried up and the wind got low so I went ahead and burned some paper trash and branches  in the burn barrel while pork chops were marinading in the Teriyaki sauce that came with some frozen stir fry veggies,  dad grilled them up, and I microwaved some california veggie mix for our 4th of July meal.  

Sunday I rode Tanza from Sharptail trailhead, a tough 20+ mile loop in the heat.  The silver lining was getting a late start like I did and it being a hot day with threat of pm storms we met very few bicyclists.    I thought I'd do it quickly but Tanza was tired or a bit sore and didn't want to trot down the hills.  I got off and led him down one long single track stretch and he was more willing to move out when we got to the dirt road section.  Its okay,  I need the conditioning more than he does, and he seemed ok when we got done.  

No comments: