Wednesday, October 15, 2014

whew --Sadie is not super sore footed today.

Of course this means I have to decide whether to continue with the tag team farriers.  I haven't really inspected Grey's shoeing job but on quick glance it looked like he rushed the job and the shoes narrow more at the back than Grey's hooves do.   Which is opposite of what one wants.  You want a little extra shoe at the heels since the hoof flexes wider at heels as the foot lands as I understand what I've read and been told about things.   I suspect I'd be happier if I could have only B coming and she charged the standard amount instead of Rs cheap rates.  Although I have no idea what kind of shoeing  job she does if she even does shoes.

Oh and the CDC had great news.  Ebola usually only spreads to 1 or 2 people from each infected person.  Of course when the CDC left a bunch of nurses with no training in highly infection disease control to deal with the first case in the U.S. (other than flying docs from Africa back to the special centers)  there were 70! medical people in contact with him and 2 of them are already sick.


 In Africa in past outbreaks (this one seems different) by the time someone is infectious they are too sick to move around and only 1 or 2 family members were in contact with them either nursing them or doing funeral rituals.    This strain seems to have a longer incubation time and its a big unknown of when they are shedding the virus and how long it can persist outside the body.    Even with this strain that seems to develop more slowly people probably don't drag themselves around while sick in Africa.  the hospitals suck so they don't go to one until they are desperate, and I'm sure almost everyone has to walk around a lot to get anywhere so folks don't go "oh I need to get that powerpoint done" or "I'm out of ice cream and I want my comfort food if I'm sick so I'll just run to the store"  So I'm pretty sure the CDC transmission rate stats based on Africa are going to have little correlation to how things will work here, at least until a lot of folks are good and scared.    What a cheery thought, but there it is.  

No comments: