Tuesday, October 14, 2014

New farrier came today ...

I don't think that I will have them out again and hopefully Sadie and Shade are not sore from somewhat aggressive sole paring.   I was not expecting a team of farriers and the guy she was paired with used to trim horses for a boarder of ours years ago --small world.   Mom and I never thought he did all that great of work, boarder used him because he was cheaper than almost everyone else.   Well paying cheap rates for work that isn't quite right sure beats praying the premium rates I paid to J for not trimming hoof that needed to go ---and then he blew me off ---I'm still fuming about that,  if he didn't want to work on my horses fine, but what a cowardly weasel not telling me that when he sent the invoice so I would know I needed to go back to my old guy or find someone new before it was an "oh shit,  I NEED to have Sadie trimmed before being gone for 12 days and that is barely a week away" situation.

And the blame for Sadie and Shade being a bit sore is at least as much on J for not taking hardly anything when he did them 8 weeks ago so that B had to take a lot of sole and hoof to get them to where they belonged now, and they are only standing on soft sand and not working (Sadie will have two weeks off for foot to grow) and I don't think they got trimmed so short as to cause any laminitis.

I'll probably go back to D for Shade and Grey,  and probably have him do Tanza for now because D is quite good with fidgety ayrabs (B was pretty good, but R got annoyed with Grey) and I think I'll try to have the endurance rider/barefoot trimmer do Sadie this winter and contact the CJF endurance rider for recommendations.   If I have to take Sadie to a high dollar pro I will do it or if I must learn to rasp/trim for myself and find a tool or figure out better how to gauge heel evenness just by eye and use the hoof boot stuff I will do that, and will do the same for Tanza too if he needs it, although D may be able to do fine for Tanza since Tanza's feet are more normal --nice round feet, with lots of hoof wall.   He did not seem like he got trimmed too short,  he had a lot of hoof wall to take w/o B needing to take any sole I think.

I guess J has a nice racket with people that want to keep their horses barefoot because 'its so much more natural and therefore better' and are thrilled to give lots of their hubbies money to an expert just to do a bit of rasping and checking up that angles are not getting completely messed up and doesn't want to work on horses that need actual trimming and shoeing.   What a pain in the arse several months it has been with trying to figure out Sadies feet and I'm still searching, siggghhh.  

No comments: