Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New truck tows well & Shade is a 1000 miler




I mentioned to my friend that co-manages the Turkey Creek ride that it would be Shade's 1000 miles so I had some butterflies but was looking forward to it. OMG, she mentioned it to the other managers and they set aside a bunch of loot for us. Totally shocked me. Some rides ask for the horses mileage to date so they can announce if a horse hit a milestone and maybe they give you an extra completion award if they have a table to pick from. But C made some pillows, which will look wonderful in my 'LQ' and they gave me a sweatshirt with the TC ranch logo embroidered on it and a little dreamcatcher too and a little container of electrolytes. The beautiful t-shirt is the completion award.

The new truck towed well and I will become spoiled now, its smooth, has a CD player which I forgot to grab any CD's to play and its SO quiet (the blue beast, 93 dodge had a gap in the door and I had to crank the radio to counteract the road noise). I'm thinking I have to buy a toolbox for the pickup bed because now that I have the crew cab with nice leather bench instead of just storage area behind the drivers seat I cannot have antifreeze and diesel treat, etc in my cab, LOL.

And Shades eye looks much better, it was good at the ride and still looks good this morning. I am going to try to get some fencing and brushhogging done this weekend and move her and Grey to a bigger paddock. I have to talk to mom about hay for Duke though. Maybe he and Shade can live together some months but she might need to buy some more of the hay I picked for Shade. I think she is thinking she will feed it to Duke but I don't want to have to isolate Shade to make it last for her. I'm already thinking I have to use some of the dusty hay mom bought earlier this summer and just dunk it for a several weeks in the fall and spring when its not a big hassle to dunk hay to stretch it enough for Shade and a rotating companion horse with her --whoever looks a bit thin on the hay she bought.

Next year I guess I will have to do all the hay buying. For the quality it is she really paid too much. I did feed the sample bales and thought it would work ok but I was thinking in terms of 2-3 stacks to make sure we had time to find better hay and she bought 5-6 stacks of the 100 bale stacks of it, SIGH, its the second or is it the third year in a row I have to manage second rate hay, feeding on the ground to reduce dust inhalation and dunking for the most sensitive horses, and the hay is not even a good dollar value per lb. Have I mentioned that I HATE SHOPPING before? But sickly/slackly has managed to make it the lesser evil now.

No comments: