Tuesday, July 28, 2009

lessons learned at Fort Meade


1) When you fill your pickup while its on a good slope the fuel tank is not really full. -twas ok I didn't run out of fuel on the road, just was shocked when my low fuel light came on right before Lusk where I had planned on putting in just 7-8 gallons to make sure I was in good shape to get to Cheyenne. I put in 19 gals to have plenty of cushion in case my truck was really slurping fuel but realized later it was probably just the slant effect at work.

2) When you take a shower with your trailer at a slant away from the drain you have to bail and sponge out the shower floor and cold showers are a last resort. I coudn't get the water heater to start --I think because of the slope, fridge was not chilling either although it showed as on until I turned it off to try over since it was not chilling anything (ok that should be 3 -pack a cooler rather than thinking the fridge will work) I have to get a repair done on the heater now because I tore the wiring when I pulled up out of the ditch. Fun with sloping ground. Oh well good practice for my hilly lot in WY. I think I'll see if a skid plate can be added to protect that bit of wiring.

3) Grey Moun likes to travel. He blew me off after the July 4 ride and I thought he was wanting to stay more retired but he was pumped when I went trail riding with my sister.

4) always put a lead on the foal when taking them through a tricky spot and its not good if they decide to go elsewhere (N's filly became Cayenne in my mind this weekend -adds serious spice to things) No harm, no foul but she didn't want to hop up the 10 inch step that led to the roomy tunnel under the interstate --instead she ran up to the edge of the interstate and then I hustled over to the other side of the tunnel with Grey and Shade to encourage her to come down there and she obliged before N put a lead on her to make sure she didn't try that again. This might be a lesson for me if I pony Sadie on trails later --make sure she can't just pull the lead out of my hand and dash to trouble.


5) I no longer like 'fru fru' beers, at least not the bottled ones. I think they do not age well, I will stick to more thirst quenching Busch lite for hot weather and mead or something if I don't want an icy beverage for future trips.

6) I already knew this but Shade rocks. She had a lot more next day energy this time. I had been going to leave her at the trailer on sunday because at Shamrock she was tired and didn't even want to go for a stretch your legs 1 mile bit with Grey before his poker ride but she wanted to come on sunday so I ponyed her and she had plenty of energy and enjoyed herself. I loff how well she and Grey do to pony each other. It was such a pain when I used to try to pony Cindy/Grey cuz Cindy would just try to take advantage to get into a run.

No comments: