Thursday, November 20, 2008

Had a trespasser this morning

Mia likes to come in after I do morning feeding and have an hour or so of warm napping. Today when I went to head back out to grain and polish things off there was a raccoon looking for food -I'd put Mia's dish up so Ole wouldn't eat all the high price special kidney diet stuff she's still getting about 50% (last bag I'm buying I hope --see how she does on the lamb and rice moderate protein stuff she's getting mixed in with the K/D stuff) So the coon was grubbing for spilled bits and then it decided it would take a nap on Mia's bed.

Must be the season for coons. Remudamom had one yesterday too.
see her blog entry about it here

Sorry, but our trespassing coon was not shot with a camera, but with a bullet. I was not taking any chances of it killing one of the cats or getting cornered by a dog and ripping them up; and while our trespasser just seemed bold as brass and not rabidly aggressive I'm not taking any chances with rabies. It really surprised me to have a coon. We are a full mile from the closest irrigation ditch -which still has water run through it every few weeks it seems but its not a regular water source, and we are farther from than that from any steady water source. No cornfields or anything.

Maybe some idiot in the subdivision thought they were having an exotic pet. Well whether it was feral and just too young to have any fear of people or dogs or someone tamed it and then let it wander it has crossed the bridge now.

My mom is such an Oh bambi. I asked her to get a gun out of the safe so I could shoot the coon and she was like, "I don't know if I can remember the combination, or get the right bullets ..... just call the neighbors" So I did, but I'm going to ask dad to show me how. Mom used to be the ranchers wife who could take care of things like this herself and I was the girl who'd never had to because we moved to an almost suburban area and I just have a desk job but I guess the roles are reversing.

No comments: