Wednesday, April 10, 2019

At least I feel less like crying

Was feeling very weepy this morning.  I tried to take some load off our Software Engineer, web expert yesterday and it wasn't a full disaster, but was not completely smooth and appreciated either.  Yesterday I spent most of the day wrestling with issues caused by code developed by the boss who fancy's hisself a professional code developer.   The actual code is not bad AFAICT which isn't very far, but boss has scientist mindset of not sharing work until publication/copyright is in place and that doesn't work with code.  Especially when he has to spend a huge percentage of his time in travel and meetings with the funding agencies.   Some of yesterdays issues were because of my dumb "aaagh fix this move" early in the morning that I forgot to undo, rest was boss, cuz he had changed file naming format and that change got pushed to the production machine yesterday when he was trying to quick fix things but I did realize that to make the needed change on my script that fetches his product and renames it.   Its so hard to work with his code because he won't tell me what is doing what so I can look into anything and he writes in object oriented code style so the main code that I CAN find is just a few lines of "call this input routine that you don't need to know where it lives"  now call this piece that will call other objects.   I hates it, I does.  

We have a few really GOOD people on the team - if I thought the boss(es) were doing everything possible to try to make work life easy for the good people and had contingency plans for filling in and replacing them if/when they do jump to greener pastures I'd feel confident.   But no,  I feel like the bosses are blowing off the best people.  We are not implementing things developed by the scientists,  boss who likes to code does not follow the protocols which makes the sys admin frustrated and I doubt they will even do the paperwork to promote him to be making some outreach of "hey we understand your value and would like to keep you for a year or 2 past you getting your degree" 


No comments: