Tuesday, August 30, 2016

well upping amounts of minerals taken is helping some

Saturday I almost had a meltdown riding Tanza.   Head bopping to the maximum was freaking me out.   After sleeping on it I decided I need to ditch the tie down I bought.  Its too big and heavy and I think it bumps his nose, then he tosses head, gets bumped harder and away we go.   I put him back in the D-ring snaffle with a fairly loose german martingale and had a normal ride on Monday morning.  WHEW!   I was frantic at the thought that maybe he actually has a pretty sore leg.

I had a decent ride on Sadie on Saturday so that was pretty good.  I had planned to take her to an AERC ride on Sunday but I kept putting off packing up for it and finally told myself that if I was not wanting to go then I should just stay home, its not like I had pre-registered or anything.  

I got all the goats heads sprayed on Sunday.    I'm still going to be spraying quite a bit next year as many had already set burrs before I got them sprayed but it is progress not to have just crossed off even trying to spray some areas.    Spots that I got sprayed the last couple years did not have a lot of burrs so I feel like I can get down to only having to spray the few that pop up to keep them from getting established again if I am able to spray at the right times next year.

Of course being human nature instead of celebrating the goats head battle I have started to obsess over all the dead branches around the place and a bit on the gates that I should cover with wire mesh or put boards in gaps before Tanza wrecks a leg putting his foot through rails.   Little stinker thinks it cute to rest a front hoof on a rail and even slide it through.  He has been calmly removing the foot but he only has to be startled at the wrong time once.   Oh and I'm also trying to get some new trees going to have more pasture shade, trying to save a couple trees that have been struggling and trying to keep up with fly bait and stuff.  I spent so much time and effort on trees and yard work on Sunday, plus it was hot in the afternoon that I punted on riding at all that evening.   Then I baked a pizza and we ate pretty late and my tummy was unhappy Sunday night and naggingly so all day on Monday.  I got my revenge on it by doing the IF even though I did not have very large breakfast or lunch.   No issues today so apparently that worked out.

We had a work retreat last Friday and OMG I went out of my normal character,  and took on the pink elephant that everyone else was ignoring and generally was pretty vocal all day.   I blamed that for not feeling like going to the AERC ride on the weekend.  I was drained Friday night and still on Saturday and Sadie has been such a whirling dervish at times this summer I just felt like it would be too much trying to make sure I didn't disrupt anyone else's ride weekend.

Felt like I didn't have the energy to do that after draining my reserves trying to fix the elephant issue at work so we don't lose key people and fail as a group.   Office does seem happier this week so I (and my boss) at least have some reprieve before we maybe have to take more steps to deal with elephant.  I personally do not have confidence that the issue will stay fixed w/o some reshuffling of the hierarchy but now I know my boss is on same page and I will back him up if we have to lean on the higher level boss to let us fix the problem.

No comments: