Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Just been working lately

Spraying weeds.   Paying neighbor teens to mow and spray the little pasture.  Teens are happy enough to run the equipment but they don't seem interested in taking on more manual  work like pruning or weeding.  Well it has been hot, so maybe that will change with the predicted cooler weather.  But I still got to spot spray weeds.  I knew w/o even trying that there is no way a paid teen would walk around and kill goats heads like I do.   You have to obsessively hate them like I do.  Also I have been working at work, but not focused on a project with a deadline so not staying on track like I should be, sigh.

I invited the family that has Lady for the summer to the ride I am going to this weekend.  I am halfway regretting that as they have been slacker on contacting RM to set up sponsor if the kids want to do fun ride.  I am doing the 50 which is two 25 mile loops this year, or possibly 30/20.  At any rate I did not want to ask the RM if I could sponsor them on one of my ride loops because I don't know if Lady or their draft cross could handle the distance and speed so I would complete in the time window to get official completion.   Tanza is just getting into 50s and I'm re-starting after 4 years of not doing them so its not like I could go "oh we can go fast enough on the longer loop to poke as needed for the non fit horses to do the other loop safely"  and this ride is pretty by the letter of the rules which prohibit pacing by people not entered in the ride distance.  I wouldn't be getting help to increase pace but letter of the rules would probably say it was wrong.

Plus they wriggled out on coming on Friday and I stupidly said I could still take the extra horses instead of pushing back.   I need to text and see if the teen boy is coming then, as the excuse was that the girl *had* to volunteer for orchestra.   Also to remind them that if they are not there early on Saturday they won't be doing any official fun ride, but they still need to show up pretty early to take care of the horses cuz I have an early ride start.   I offered to haul them somewhere to just ride on another weekend and they said they still wanted to do this, so I hope they step up.

No comments: