Saturday, September 13, 2014

Still alive

Went to Sturgis SD for a ride.   Another 1 for 2 weekend.   I should not have entered the 2nd day.  Although Sadie's hind leg(s) that was pull source at HJ 2 weeks prior to this one was fine.  She was a little off after the first loop of second day on her right front foot.   The one she bent the shoe on.  Farrier did come out and fix it,  I don't know if the stepping on it had any relation to the mild soreness or if its just that Sadie doesn't have a lot of bone and is going to need extra legging up for endurance.

So I was thinking I'd have to enter her just 1 day at the ride near NEMO the last weekend of September but now I will not be going up there at all.   Sadie was colicky yesterday.  Much better today but she doesn't need to take another longish trailer trip in just two more weeks.   The Dakota trip was hard on her.  She was good in Sturgis other than the leg which was minor and a RO/L pull rather than mandatory pull.   No doubt the vet was correct that she should not go out again as all the rock on the 2nd loop would likely have made a serious problem out of the minor strain or whatever.

But my cousin passed away so we ran up to Bowman ND with the horses Sunday night, then up to Minot to that funeral and a 10 hour drive home Wed. and that was with no getting out of the trailer cuz I didn't trust Sadie and Razz to load back up good or be sane to unload in the dark if I took too long to get home.   Thursday Sadie seemed fine but the cold front that made her a uncomfortable in ND on Monday/Tuesday came through here and she was just not right Friday.

And Sadie might have VS;  hopefully not as it will be a major wrench in dad's hunting trip if we end up with a horse quarantine but what will be will be.   She had a couple raw spots on her gums, but no new VS symptoms today so hopefully she just rubbed her gums a bit eating something odd.

I have a new gelding.  The one in WY I've been posting about.   I was supposed to haul him home today but postponed to tomorrow because of Sadie.   I wanted to push it back a week or more if Sadie does have VS but the seller wouldn't do it.  I suppose I could try to find a boarding situation for him but since Sadie does not seem to be having active VS I think I'll just take him home and hope for the best with only isolating him from direct contact.   I don't think we had a freeze and got rid of the flies here.

My headache -- tension in neck and up the muscles in back of head is finally yielding to the ibuprofen so time for me to feed the horses. 

p.s.  Definitely still have flies.   Ugh.   I think once I get Tanza home I will have less tension, especially if Sadie is VS clear.   I should call sis in ND,  possibly her horses were exposed, Sadie might have had it then,  or might have picked it up in Sturgis although with an infected farm just over a mile away its likely to have been brought to our place by flies.   No symptoms until the friday colic and I asked and Dr Mike said its 7-10 days from picking it up to having symptoms. 



No comments: