Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September is almost over, thank God

Well it has not been all horrible,  but my cousin died at the start of the month, she was not super young but only 66 is still pretty young these days and she will be greatly missed.  I had not even known just how special she was to so many folks in her church and family although dad, sis and I  always appreciated her,  she was a nice lady always very welcoming and warm and intelligent, good conversationist.   We never lived very close together geographically and she was allergic to horses so we never spent a lot of time together.  

Then Sadie had the colic bout and VS scare which I did get word today she is cleared, never had VS!  YAY!   Today Lady had what I think must have been a gas colic.   I was all set to just wait and see with her but I noticed her respirations were pretty high when I was doing accu-pressure along her midline and then she went and laid down, still panting so I got askeered and called the vet right away.  

It was just a gas colic and she was back up and looking mildly for food by the time Dr Scott got there in just 1/2 an hour.    Darned little princess making me be a drama llama with the vet.   She just got a dose of electrolyte paste and a bit of banimine paste (which I think she spit some out) and kept eating hay pretty good afterwards.    Dr Scott thinks my new guy can probably 'go'.

  Unsaid was that he probably doesn't think Sadie can go all that well.  Which I experienced this summer.   She is a sweetie and she can do the distance riding at a low level but probably only at a fairly low level ever.   Which is OK if Tanza doesn't have an oh shit injury or illness,  I can afford to feed them both and there are enough ride days to keep two horses occupied if they are both sound next year.  

Shade's knee arthritis is continuing.  That knee is getting visibly swollen.   Sigh,  I'm afraid Sadie may be in the same situation before she is 20.  She has very similar conformation fault in her front legs.  Maybe she'll have a few more good years than Shade if we don't hit holes and summersault and/or I end up doing less total miles on her but I do not know that riding makes the joint fail any faster, it might be helpful by strengthening the muscles and ligaments, anyway its what I do and I guess I'd rather have 10 years of having ridden Sadie and enjoyed trails with her and be bummed if she gets a bad knee in her teens then have her stand around and be sound till over 20 but all she ever did was stand around eating and getting bored.  

No comments: