Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I never said I was bored, never

I don't want interesting times at work.   Do. not. want.   But it appears our Sys Admin resigned saturday night with a cryptic email.   I thought it was a joke and he was just burned out for the weekend but I sent an email to the group alias yesterday evening and got an automated message that his address is not active, which suggests he took it off working remotely from home.   My earlier email to the group alias did not generate any bounce messages.

I know I was one of the stresses on him lately rather than a relief valve and I feel badly but I'm sure that could only be a tiny fraction of what made him 'snap' to decide in the middle of a weekend to quit.
*******
addendum:   Well the office seems to think that sys admin just needs some time and will come back.  IOW seems to be in complete denial that they need to get their shit together to hire someone  --which needs to be done anyway as we have been having to wait too long for updates that the sys admin has to do for months now and obviously we need to lighten the load ASAP if we want to keep our current guy if he only takes a week or so to de-stress and then comes back.  --which we do,  we don't have catastrophic failures cuz he is excellent about keeping up backups and so on and not jumping on bandwagon of the newest thing before doing research and making sure its not going to be a tarbaby.  My bleeding OS whine was the exception and I think the software engineer who out ranks pushed that upgrade although I don't know the details.  


Sys Admin has been supporting a large # of computers with 3 different major O/S types: microsoft, & apple desktops and CentOS for the workhorse rack CPUs so its not at all that he just doesn't GitRdone efficiently.    I hate the breezy liberal attitude, seems like they think that of course he'll come back and find a way to keep things running and the software folks can fill in for a week or 2.  Except that the one that would be more competent for stringing hardware I think is Taiwanese and we have ITAR issues so he can't go in the main cpu rack rooms and may only have fairly broad sudo permissions but not full root access but I don't know the details.   

No comments: