Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas in the books.

 Dad seemed pleased enough with his waffle iron.   I was going to get him some humorous books but never got around to it.  Kind of feel like I don't *need* to buy him stuff since I do the cooking and cleaning.   Not that I keep the place spic and span but still I spend plenty of time to keep it bearable. 

I baked a 10 lb Sugarland ham.   Quite liked it.  It was not as watery as a lot of hams are, enough drippings to make gravy though.   And just did instant mashed taters.  They came out better than the ones I made from scratch on Thanksgiving and got too watery.  It is nice to have a palate that likes easy foods just fine and Dad likes the instant packets fine too.  I think these Idahoan packets are way way better than the old boxes of instant taters used to be.   I have 4 hunks of ham vacuum sealed and a the bony hunk in a big ziplock, not vac sealed for ham and bean soup.  I'm get this weird joy from getting lots of meals out the holiday turkey and hams.   I don't NEED to be so frugal.  But eating cheaply makes it easy or easier to not worry about cost of the farrier or cost of fuel to haul to a ride for fun.  

I rode Tanza yesterday before baking the ham.   I hadn't been on him in 3 weeks.   Someone was target shooting and he got all angst about he noise so I turned around, then had to keep telling him "I turned around but you don't need to or get to bolt"  Lots of  forced laughing to keep breathing and get through that instead of feeding his goofiness.   Then when I was going down the section road the wind started gusting a bit so I cut the ride short, but it was a nice bit of saddle time before cooking.  

Hopefully when I get back to riding more regularly I can insist that we do not make a big deal out of someone enjoying their Boomstick toys.  I don't need Tanza to be mounted shooting tolerant but he doesn't need to get silly because of someone 100 yards or more off doing some plinking.   

No comments: