Thursday, October 1, 2020

Coined a new term this morning.

 Doug Bug.   Trying to make a bit of humor instead of always going "AAARRRGHHH"  for the stupid bugs introduced by the *senior* software engineer who is too special to run tests on code changes before checking them in and even too special to coordinate with the software engineer who was specially hired to build code and make sure test cases work whenever buggy Doug puts in a code change.   

Doug Bugs tend to hit me when I think I'm trying just one new thing in a module but my svn update introduced a Doug bug and then some other code in that module starts breaking on a real-time system.   So far I have not caused an extended outage on an active system but I've had a couple of close calls, when I have been shooting from the hip and not strictly following our protocols myself even though I try to honor them.   My old 'absent minded professor' thing where I forget that "this is active" plus think "this is not realtime code that I'm messing with so I don't have to test on the dev string first"  

Oh well.  It is job security unless I cause an extended outage and the funding agencies penalize us.  

No comments: