Monday, September 28, 2020

Spent the weekend at Winding River Resort in RMNP

 It is a very nicely set up campgrounds.   Of course I have enough of my grandfathers blood to feel like "yeah, but it needed to be a really really nice set up for >$80 per night."     Friday we did a lot of chatting around the propane fire ring that C and & T have and it was fun.   But between the cost and the drive *I* would opt to just camp at Indian Creek or some other NF undeveloped campground that was easier to get to.  

The trails were nice and dry in the non-rocky sections.   Saturday's ride got a bit scary.   Wind was gusting, not terribly hard/fast but the trees are so overcrowded and beetle damaged up there that they were coming down crack, boom right where we were riding.    Not good with an 8 horse group which is about 4 horses too many for the endurance pace riding we all do without extra drama from falling trees.   But there were no casualties.   We got to a trail split and M & J announced "its a pretty ride to those falls but we are heading back"   This got us split into two groups of 4 and things were better after that.  I won't say relaxed cuz M and Rocky were cruising through some trail sections where I would have kept the pace down to a slow to mid-pace trot so I was having to suck it up and go with the flow some.   

Then when we were back at the resort there is a river ford and Tanza got his feet tangled up in the rocks in the river and fell down.  Luckily the only damage to either him or me was tiny scrapes under our knees but we were both dismayed by the unexpected dunking.   Tanza was very unhappy cuz he got water in his left ear.   But fancy campground with unlimited hot shower so it was not too bad for me after I walked Tanza back to our camp spot and got him in his pen.   I got out of the shower and found I had not put my jeans in the bag.  I tied my towels around my waist to walk back to my trailer, rather than put my wet riding tights back on.  That was fine, the towels covered as much as a skirt would have.   

K brought over some flavored vodkas that she had got J and M for their birthdays.  I was a bit like "oh shit I didn't know I should have gotten a gift" but later when M was talking it came out that he had sponsored K's granddaughter at a ride, so she probably felt like she should get them something for being so nice.  I *think* J and M are good with not going to gift exchanges with B and I.   It isn't like they invited us to some mountain property they own and did extra work to host people joining the birthday camping trip.   

I hauled B's horse Taj up on Friday so she could work her normal day and just drive up after work and he is staying here until Tuesday night so she didn't have to rush home on Sunday, or skip shopping or whatever weekend errands to haul him home.  She drove her car up to RMNP, rather than burn all the extra gas to take her p/u.  She has bible study tonight and because I'm fine with keeping Taj  she will just leave him the extra night.  I am fine with this,  I can feed Tanza extra hay and feed w/o having to wait to put him back in the paddock since Taj also needs extra groceries and the two geldings get along so well together.  

No comments: