Thursday, October 3, 2013

Ready to send the big guy home and go back to my ayrabs already

He's a decent horse but just not my style having to work so hard to get the ride started.   He does at least warm up and move out  with only a few 'maybe I could stop for a snack or slow walk here'  but its worse than when mine are like "I'm starving, can't we just eat more."    I guess I should set up some jumps or something and see about making him work at home but I don't know if I'll get there.  Supposed to be cold and wet starting sometime tonight and through saturday morning.  If its not wet perhaps I'll try to longe or long-line him tomorrow but not bother riding but I'm thinking it will be a good day to skip any horse working.

Today I was working on his hind foot.  He has a crack and had some weed stalk of some sort stuck in the foot.  I wanted to rasp the flair and crack edges to take pressure off so the crack would not get worse and found the weed stalk so was messing around getting that out and trying to get the soft yucky spots around it off etc.  Mason was not cooperating with leaving his foot on my hoof-jack and after a bit was not even picking up the foot.   I could never be a farrier but if I were I'd have to refuse to work on drafts.

He had no concerns about the road grader though.   I did think 'if he was not so hard to get on I'd probably get off just in case but its a royal PITA to get mounted and surely an easy going draft isn't going to get worked up about barely moving grader anyway.'    My ditch  is not deep/steep enough, the saddle slips to the side ....  He is good about moving up next to a fence so I've resorted to climbing on the 2-board  sort of fence/driveway wings the last two times and if that was not working I'd have to drag the mounting block out to ride him as the fences are pretty much just wire.  Mia is enjoying the fall mornings and not going in the house anymore where I could just leave the gate open.    The driveway gate is the cheap galvanized tin and not sturdy enough to climb on. 

1 comment:

Gerrick said...

Unfortunate