Monday, May 7, 2018

Wow I love my red gelding

He was mostly my "rare gem" this weekend.    Was NOT going to take his e-lytes in the morning and then didn't drink OR eat on trail the first 25 miles but I got him dosed with a small amount at the hold and he drank well on the next 15 miles and was grabbing grass as we finished the loop.   He didn't eat as well as I would like at camp, and has been on the clay all winter and not getting too many elytes or any that are not supposed to be slow release or buffered to be easy on his tummy.   So perhaps he just has to relearn that he needs to eat at rides.   He did pretty much keep eating, just was not tucking into his mashes nor hoovering more hay than normal.  He always eats a bit less hay then I would think he'd want at rides but I figure its because of getting grass and mashes.   Maybe he got more grass than I realized.   His gut sounds were good so think I need to not be in panic mode.

We finished in a bit over 6 hours of riding time.   Really great for not conditioning much all winter but the ride was a bit short so its not faster than 8 MPH.  I would like to get to 8 MPH or a bit faster as a normal pace with him this year because I want to try a 100 and need to be finishing the first 50 miles more quickly to have time for slowing down because night, hungry! after 50 miles or so and etc.    So if Tanza stays sound and the creek don't rise I plan to work on finishing faster than last year and doing more 2 and 3 day rides this year and then hopefully aim for an easy 100 late in the season and do the tough 100 that I've always wanted to do next year.

No comments: